Goal of the PMSMA
Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan envisages to improve the quality and coverage of Antenatal Care (ANC) including diagnostics and counselling services as part of the Reproductive Maternal Neonatal Child and Adolescent Health (RMNCH+A) Strategy.
Objectives of the program:
- Ensure at least one antenatal checkup for all pregnant women in their second or third trimester by a physician/specialist
- Improve the quality of care during ante-natal visits. This includes ensuring provision of the following services:
- All applicable diagnostic services
- Screening for the applicable clinical conditions
- Appropriate management of any existing clinical condition such as Anaemia, Pregnancy induced hypertension, Gestational Diabetes etc.
- Appropriate counselling services and proper documentation of services rendered
- Additional service opportunity to pregnant women who have missed ante-natal visits
- Identification and line-listing of high risk pregnancies based on obstetric/ medical history and existing clinical conditions.
- Appropriate birth planning and complication readiness for each pregnant woman especially those identified with any risk factor or comorbid condition.
- Special emphasis on early diagnosis, adequate and appropriate management of women with malnutrition.
- Special focus on adolescent and early pregnancies as these pregnancies need extra and specialized care