Name of the Section:
AYUSH Cell, Directorate of Health Services, Campal, Panaji – Goa
AYUSH systems of Medicine include Indian systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy. AYUSH is an acronym for Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Sowa Rigpa & Homoeopathy. Ayurveda is the oldest system with documented history of its practice since more than 5000 years whereas Homoeopathy is in practice in India for around 100 years. These systems are being practised in the country with diverse preferences of people and infrastructural facilities.
National AYUSH Mission (NAM):
The basic objective of NAM is to promote AYUSH medical systems through cost effective AYUSH services, strengthening of educational systems, facilitate the enforcement of quality control of Ayurveda, Siddha and Unani & Homoeopathy (ASU &H) drugs and sustainable availability of ASU & H raw materials. It envisages flexibility of implementation of the programmes which will lead to substantial participation of the State Governments/UT. The NAM contemplates establishment of a National Mission as well as corresponding Missions in the State level. NAM is likely to improve significantly the Department’s outreach in terms of planning, supervision and monitoring of the schemes.
- To provide cost effective and equitable AYUSH health care throughout the country by improving access to the services.
- To revitalize and strengthen the AYUSH systems making them as prominent medical streams in addressing the health care of the society.
- To improve educational institutions capable of imparting quality AYUSH education
- To promote the adoption of Quality standards of AYUSH drugs and making available the sustained supply of AYUSH raw-materials.
- To provide cost effective AYUSH Services, by upgrading AYUSH Hospitals and Dispensaries, co-location of AYUSH facilities at Primary Health Centres (PHCs), Community Health Centres (CHCs) and District Hospitals (DHs).
- To strengthen institutional capacity at the state level through upgrading AYUSH educational institutions, State Govt. ASU&H Pharmacies, Drug Testing Laboratories and ASU & H enforcement mechanism.
- Support cultivation of medicinal plants by adopting Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) so as to provide sustained supply of quality raw materials and support certification mechanism for quality standards, Good Agricultural/Collection/Storage Practices.
- Support setting up of clusters through convergence of cultivation, warehousing, value addition and marketing and development of infrastructure for entrepreneurs.
The State AYUSH Society Goa (SASG) was constituted on 16 June, 2015 to implement the National AYUSH Mission in the state. The AYUSH Cell was formed to ensure seamless implementation of the Centrally Sponsored Schemes under NAM in the state. State AYUSH Society Goa under National AYUSH Mission is constituted with objective to promote AYUSH Health Care System and to provide cost effective AYUSH Services to community in the state Goa.
- Under the co-location of AYUSH Dispensaries, AYUSH OPDs have been developed at all Health Centres (PHCs/CHCs/SDHs & DHs). Ayurvedic & Homoeopathic physicians are providing consultation, advice and medicines to availing patients.
|Sr.No||Up-gradation Work Undertaken||Health Centre|
|1||AYUSH Dispensary/OPD||PHC Corlim|
|2||AYUSH Dispensary/OPD||PHC Cortalim|
|3||AYUSH Dispensary/OPD||PHC Colvale|
|4||AYUSH Dispensary/OPD||PHC Chinchinim|
|5||AYUSH Dispensary/OPD & Medicine store||PHC Dharbandora|
- Procuring AYUSH Medicines from standard pharmaceuticals having GMP certification. Ayurvedic & Homoeopathic Medicines are supplied to all AYUSH Dispensaries/OPDs by Medicines Store Depot (MSD), DHS through State Budget. Also Ayurvedic medicines have been procured from IMPCL from NAM Funds and supplied to all Health Centres.
The medicines are provided to patients free of cost at the Government Dispensaries.
- Establishment of AYUSH Wellness Centres in cascading manner to popularize AYUSH way of life to reduce burden of non-communicable disease and to promote health & well-being in society. This will include yoga demonstrations & courses, PanchaKarma Therapy facility which public can avail of.
- AYUSH Wellness Centre with Yoga at 8 Centres
- Panchakarma Therapy is being conducted at 4 Centres
PHC Aldona, PHC Candolim, PHC Cortalim, Hospicio Hospital Margao (DH),
- Yoga Wellness Centre at 2 Centres
North Goa: One
South Goa: One
- Several programmes are regularly conducted all over the state in the form of Medical Health Camps, Awareness talks, Yoga Demonstrations etc. AYUSH way of life is popularized vide these activities so as to help in reducing the burden of Communicable & Non-communicable diseases, help in their management, to promote National Campaigns like Geriatric Campaign, Anti-Anaemia Campaign, Vector-Borne Disease Campaign to improve health of Children & Adolescent in School Health Programme and to provide the benefit of well-being & health to the public.
- 50 bedded AYUSH integrated Hospital in Velguem
- 50 bedded AYUSH integrated Hospital in Mont Hill, Margao
- One AYUSH Tribal Mobile Medical Unit
Administrative Set-up: Directorate of Health Services looks after AYUSH System of Medicine. The AYUSH-Cell is established and headed by Dy. Director (AYUSH). Ayurvedic and Homoeopathic dispensaries have been established in PHCs, CHCs, UHCs, SDHs and DHs where AYUSH Physicians are conducting OPDs and providing free medicines to all patients.
- Total Ayurvedic OPDs at Health Centres – 35
- Total Homoeopathic OPDs at Health centres – 14
- Naturopathy & Yoga Centre – 1
|Head of the Department|
|Sr. No||Name ||Designation ||Department|
|1||Dr. Datta H. Bhat|
Dy. Director (AYUSH)/
Nodal Officer –
National AYUSH Mission
Directorate of Health Services
|2||Dr. Mahesh Verlekar|
State Programme Manager -National AYUSH Mission
Directorate of Health Services
|AYUSH Physicians under DHS|
|1||Ayurvedic Physicians (Regular)||28|
|2||Ayurvedic Physicians (Contract)||01|
|3||Homoeopathic Physicians (Regular)||02|
|4||Homoeopathic Physicians (Contract)||10|
|State Programme Management Unit (SPMU) Under National AYUSH Mission|
|1||Dr. Aditi Budkuley||Consultant||AYUSH-Cell, DHS|
|2||Gauraksh Naik||State Finance Manager||AYUSH-Cell, DHS|
|3||Ramita Raul||State Accounts Manager||AYUSH-Cell, DHS|
|4||Megha Chari||Data Entry Operator||AYUSH-Cell, DHS|
|5||Yeshwant Satardekar||Office Attendant||AYUSH-Cell, DHS|
|AYUSH Staff Under National AYUSH Mission (NAM)|
|1||AYUSH Medical Officer||05|
|3||AYUSH Yoga Therapist||02|
Implementation of Centrally Sponsored Scheme of National AYUSH Mission
Sub- Programmes/Components of the Mission:
- Public Health Outreach Activity
- Medical Camp
- Awareness Talks
- NCD Screening
- Peripheral OPD
- School Health Programme
- Nutritional & Dietary Advice for proper growth & development
- Yoga Demonstration & practice for proper growth & development
- Management of Mal-nutrition, worm-infestation, anaemia in children
- Health Screening for early detection & management of disabilities or ailments
- Adolescent counseling, Sexual Health Education & management of problems
- Home Remedies & School nursery
- AYUSH Gram
- Adoption of AYUSH way of life & interventions of health care
- Dietary habits & lifestyle for Preventive Health care
- Identification, Preservation & cultivation of local herbs & medicinal plants
- Common home remedies for general ailments
- Campaigns for prevention against Communicable (Malaria, T.B., Diarrhea etc.) & Non-communicable (Diabetes, hypertension etc.) diseases
- Behaviour Change Communication
- Preventive Health Care
- Interventions of diet & lifestyle for promoting health
- Popularising AYUSH systems of medicine
Important Days & Dates are commemorated and celebrated every year in the State by the AYUSH Cell. The activities are conducted at both State level as well as Periphery levels. They include camps, awareness talks, yoga demonstrations, and public interactions. Free advice, treatment and medicines are provided to the public. These activities help in creating an awareness regarding the AYUSH system among the masses. Some of the important occasions are as below:
- World Homoeopathy Day (10th April)
- International Day of Yoga (IDY) (21st June)
- Poshan Maah (September – Nutrition Month)
- Ayurveda Day (Dhanvantari Jayanti/Dhanteras)
- Naturopathy Day (18th November)
|Sr.No.||AYUSH Activities ||Number|
|1||International Day of Yoga (IDY) Celebration|| |
- State Level Function
- Taluka Level Functions
- Periphery Level Functions
- In Association with other organizations
|2||World Homoeopathy Day: State Level + Periphery Level||38|
|3||Ayurveda Day: State Level + Periphery Level||35|
|6||Health tonic & Consumables Distributions|| |
- Poshan Pakhwada
- Development of Herbal Garden
| ||CHC Sankhali, CHC Valpoi, CHC Canacona, PHC Loutolim|| |
Every year several camps are conducted across the state. More than 40+ camps have been conducted in different parts of the state including Netravali, Kumbharjua, Mardol, Siolim, Quepem, Chodan, Colvale Jail etc. These include about 8 Mega Camps, Health Check-up Camps, Awareness Camps & NCD Camps
- Medical Camps for specific disorders like joint disorders, Diabetes Mellitus, Geriatric, Neurological disorders, Gynaecological Disorders etc. are conducted.
- Health Camps are conducted such as Women & Child Health, Geriatric Health, Prevention of Non-Communicable Disease etc.
- Awareness Camps are also conducted Agni Karma in Neurogenic Pain, Basti Camp, Prakriti Parikshan Camp, Ayurvedic Camps, Homoeopathic Camps, Naturopathy Camp etc. for awareness of treatment specialties of AYUSH Health Care System.
- Participation in NCD camps for propogation of AYUSH health care system in management of Non-Communicable Diseases.
- Awareness Talks:
- Importance of Nutrition in Women & Child Health
- Management of Lifestyle Diseases with AYUSH Medical Systems
- Nutrition for Women & Child Health
- Ante-Natal Care in Pregnancy: An Ayurvedic Perspective
- Proper Diet & Hygiene for Health
- Importance & Guidelines for Breast-feeding
- Home Remedies in Common Ailments
- Identification, Cultivation & Preservation of Local Plants
- Importance of Basti Chikitsa for treatment
- Role of Agni-Karma in Instant Pain Relief
- Agni Karma Chikitsa in Joint Disorders
- Geriatric Health Management
- Prakriti Parikshan & Its importance in Ayurvedic Treatment
- Yoga For Women’s Health: Panaji
- Ante-Natal Care: Diet in Pregnancy
- Women’s Health through Diet & Yoga: Margao
- Pharmaco-vigilance Workshop: G.A.M.&R.C., Shiroda
- Seminars & CMEs:
- Healthy Living Through Yoga June ‘18
- Homoeopathy Seminar Apr ‘19
- Ayurveda Seminar Apr ‘19
- National Seminar on Panchbhautik Chikitsa Oct ‘19
- CME on ‘Neuromuscular Disorders: Modern Methods of Diagnosis & Treatment’ (Jan ’20)
- CME on ‘An Ayurvedic Perspective on Diabetic Foot & Non- Healing Ulcers’ (Feb ’20)
- Training of Trainers: Cascading Training Programme for Orientation of AYUSH Physicians to the potential of AYUSH with respect to General Wellness & Preventive Health Care Including Prevention of Diabetes Mellitus: 1 training for 30 physicians
- Cascading Training Programme for Orientation of ANMs/MPHWs to the potential of AYUSH with respect to General Wellness & Preventive Health Care Including Prevention of Diabetes Mellitus: 14 trainings for 420+ ANMs/MPHWs
|1||Training of Trainers’ for ANMS||UHC Margao||2|
|2||Training of Trainers’ for ANMS||ASILO, Mapusa||3|
|3||Training of Trainers’ for ANMS||SDH Ponda||3|
|4||Training of Trainers’ for ANMS||PHC Quepem||2|
|5||Training of Trainers’ for ANMS||DHS, Panaji||4|
Extra Curricular Activities:
- Surya Namaskar Mass Demonstration
- DHS Premier League (Cricket Trophy)
- Group Dance on AIDS Awareness
- AROGYA Fair at Youth Hostel, Panaji (Nov 30th – Dec 2nd)
- SCIFFI (Science Film Festival) at ESG Complex, Panaji (15th – 18th Jan, 2020)
- YOGATHON Rallies at Panaji & Margao with 350+ participants each
- Yoga-Asana Competition & Lecture at Ponda in association with Akhil Bharteeya Vidyarthi Parishad, Goa Branch
- Poster Competition for Ayurveda Day